Friday, April 27, 2012

Preface

      I've been slow to join the blogging trend since it seemed the domain of those with more interesting lives, more prolific minds, more numerous connections . . . or more enlarged egos.  Still, I recognize that blogs provide a better forum than social networks for longer and more serious musings.  Having an abundance of those, I have decided to contribute--not, I trust, to join the latter group of bloggers, nor merely to "jump on the bandwagon."  Rather, as most writers profess, I begin with hope that I have something worthwhile to write that others shall wish to read (though admittedly, the audience who enjoys "serious musings" is relatively small).  Naturally, this means I have no intentions toward a recitation of daily events nor boasts of our accomplishments or derring-do; I leave that to the realm of social networks and email, which are apt vehicles for such news.  Instead, herein I propose a journal of what thoughts I believe readers may find amusing, profound, or worthy of contemplation.

      (Given this lofty aim, it feels rather natural to lapse into archaic phrasings, and I pray you'll forgive me if I occasionally revel in them.  Notwithstanding their requiring greater cognitive effort while reading, I find such expressions rather diverting.  :)

      Be aware that contemplations within this blog may be complete offerings of resolved ideas or, more likely, essays (attempts) on the issues--incomplete explorations that will stir deeper thought but not necessarily conclude.  Also, while posts will not focus on any one issue or topic of contemplation, I will definitely revisit certain topics to explore different aspects of them, so if an idea seems particularly incomplete, you may see more written later on that topic.

      As a parting thought on the subject of contemplations, I will share some of Emerson's words, which seem fitting:

      "If we consider what happens in conversation, in reveries, in remorse, in times of passion . . . wherein often we see ourselves in masquerade,—the droll disguises only magnifying and enhancing a real element, and forcing it on our distinct notice,—we shall catch many hints that will broaden and lighten into knowledge of the secret of nature."  
            --Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The Over-Soul," Essays, First Series (1841, repr. 1847), via dictionary.com.

1 comment: