Wednesday, October 10, 2012

On Clouds, or On Art vs. Science

       I've developed a love for the open sky in Kansas.  Unlike forested or mountainous areas, our long stretches of fields and plains grant us a spectacular view of the heavens--a beauty so many people, including myself, tend to overlook as they work away within four walls or stare fixedly at the uneven sidewalk or the busy traffic on their journeys to a place with more walls that obscure the view.  Whenever I spare a glance upward, the shifting textures of the clouds, the smooth backdrop behind them, and the dynamic light that decorates both with a multitude of colors--all fill me with awe.  They put my existence and woes in perspective with God's greatness and care for me; they bring a peaceful smile to my face as I enjoy a delicate swirl of white or a smooth gradation of cobalt or light-limned purple.
        However, I've never bothered to truly learn the names of the cloud types in the same way I try to memorize the names of trees; I simply enjoy them as one enjoys a work of art.  Still, as with art, I wonder sheepishly if I'm missing something by remaining ignorant of atmospheric layers and meteorological terms and the effects of jet streams.  I imagine an arrogant meteorologist scoffing at my "love for the sky," saying that if I loved it, I would have pursued and amassed more knowledge of it.  I know as well as the next person that part of art appreciation involves knowing the methods of creation, the artist's background, and contextual influences.  Yet, is an abundance of scientific knowledge necessary to "properly" enjoy nature?  (Is an abundance of knowledge necessary to be a fan of anything--manga, language, history, etc.?)  Would a greater understanding of such things enhance my enjoyment and admiration of the skies, or would it cause me to dissect the beauty into unglamorous terms and meteorological calculations?  I know of the Artist and some basics of the heavens' composition--and I'm glad to know clouds are made of moisture rather than marshmallows or cotton or magic--to understand a little something of the physics that make such wondrous colors possible.  Yet, it's not as if my circumstances require me to study and predict the weather as a farmer might need to.  Learning is never-ending; when would I stop?  Is that the best use of my time?  I still enjoy what I enjoy even if I can't quantify how it arrived at its appearance or explain what it means in terms of wind patterns and future weather.  This casual deliberation decides me that we can truly enjoy what we like regardless of our interest in deepening our knowledge about it.  I've nothing to feel guilty of if I simply want to turn my face upward and drink in the view without the burden or blessing of scientific knowledge.  

1 comment:

  1. The wide Kansas skyscapes are indeed inspiring!
    Whether a person should or would gain more from an in depth study of the how's & why's, I would suppose, matters on whether the person in-taking its beauty is curious about such things, or if they are satisfied with the experience of being a witness to it. I think a majority of people have at least a rudimentary knowledge of what goes on, but my guess is that most are happy to experience it without further study.
    Of course this is coming from an artist who is in awe of The Painter of the skies!

    ReplyDelete