Monday, July 8, 2013

On a Modest Proposal

(I’ll assure you in advance that I shall not satirically advocate eating babies!)


In accordance with 1 Tim 2:8-10, I try to keep my style relatively plain and modest to not distract anyone of the opposite gender.  Unfortunately, choosing flattering, modest clothes is a challenge, as the following, rather generous Venn Diagram illustrates:




The market is flooded with thin, ragged, and low-waisted pants (read “panty-line-revealing, inappropriately-casual, and crack-displaying pants.”  And don’t get me started on the universally unattractive skinny jeans.)  Similarly, shirts with thin material, tight cuts, low necklines, and high waistlines also abound.  The rare modest ones tend to be shapeless affairs that either resemble maternity wear or just plain make me feel like a fat blob.  
I’ve found a compromise in loose cardigans over a tighter shirt, and in ribbed sweaters that somewhat hide the details of the chest while still flattering one’s figure.  A scarf could also hide low necklines, but as I’ve only started wearing scarves instead of hats with my winter coat in the last couple years, I’m not yet ready to try scarves as a coat-less fashion accessory.

I confess that I abandon some of my modesty in summer when I must walk 30 minutes in the heat to or from work; then I may wear a tight camisole, and on the hottest days may stoop to wearing jean shorts rather than calf-length capris.  (Yes, compared with female athletes who jog about in public wearing sports bras and spandex shorts, this is more modest, but in a desire not to draw strange, male eyes, I have over the past few years taken to wearing those shorts less frequently and braving the heat and unattractive tan-lines with a t-shirt more frequently.)


Given my difficulty with easily locating clothes that are at once modest, well-made, inexpensive, fashionable, and attractive (as mentioned in my previous post), for many years, I’ve toyed with the idea of a modern clothing store specifically geared toward the modest inclinations of Midwesterners and people of faith.  
Why doesn’t this exist yet?  Not even the ubiquitous Walmart caters to this concept of modesty, which is quite widespread--at least among my acquaintance.  
Eventually, with these ideas percolating once again in my brain, I laid out my plan for such a store in my Google Drive, and only a couple days after hashing it out, my mother-in-law voiced a similar desire for such a store as we searched through at least seven shops in Wichita (Michael’s, Dress Barn, Rue12, Lane Bryant, Christopher Banks, Eddie Bauer, and Old Navy) without luck until we found the new location of Maurice’s.  That store provided me with three new tops I could wear to work.


My dream-store would carry fashionable clothing for all ages and social situations, but would never carry anything too tight or too sheer (unless, in the latter case, it’s intended to rest over another layer), nor clothing that does not adequately cover relevant body parts--which caveat would extend even to bathing suits.  All would be well-made and as inexpensive as possible.
In addition, clothing would be organized as many stores are beginning to organize jeans--by cut, color, and then size--to make shopping far, far easier.  The store would also be arranged in such a way that undergarments are tucked in opposite corners behind dividers--out of the common path and out of sight from the other gender’s area so that people can browse the edge of their area--or for gifts in the other gender’s area--without shock or discomfort.  Finally, yet still vitally, employees would be appropriately paid and well-treated by superiors.


Of course, I am not likely to act upon this plan; I have no capital, no business acumen, no retail experience, and frankly, no interest in running a store.  I do, however, hope somebody with those traits picks up the idea because I would shop there exclusively!


No comments:

Post a Comment