Wednesday, July 3, 2013

On Personal Fashion

I’ll readily admit I am NOT the epitome of fashion, but after my college t-shirt and hoodie days, I am rather pleased by the way I have elevated my wardrobe to accommodate age- and work-appropriate attire, which (suiting my slim budget and even slimmer interest in shopping) can often double as “smart casual” apparel.  In the process, I have developed my own personal style somewhere between traditional and trendy, aiming overall for “elegant simplicity.”  
I confess I don’t often reach the elegance to which I aspire since I typically prioritize comfort and modesty over appearance--and because self-consciousness has always made it difficult for me to significantly vary my style, even when I receive many compliments on a new look.  Skirt and slacks, for instance, make me feel overdressed, so I typically stick to khakis at work and jeans at church, venturing into a skirt or slacks for certain Sundays and sometimes for a wedding, funeral, or just on a rare, adventurous whim.  
Naturally, I steer away from “high” fashion, which often looks ridiculous and changes far too quickly for my budget.  Besides, fashion trickles to the center of the U.S. so slowly, I don’t see the point in trying.  Instead, I (try to) choose longer-lasting fashions.  Thus, in lieu of my camp t-shirts and ballet t-shirts and Goodwill-closet finds (basically, in lieu of oversized, print-covered t-shirts), I’ve acquired solid-color t-shirts with feminine cuts and high v-necks which suit work as well as more casual settings.  Similarly, instead of shapeless hoodies, I can now choose from an array of more flattering sweaters and cardigans that serve the same dual purpose.  I also have several dressier shirts of various cuts and styles.  Still, other than a few lacy-topped camisoles for layering effects and improved modesty, I avoid ruffles, lace, and cuts that I suspect will soon fall out of fashion.  
To my annoyance, I struggle to find clothes that are at once well-made, modest, inexpensive, and attractive; I can typically find only two or three out of four.  However, I’ve learned I can find the best casual clothes at Walmart and work clothes at Maurice’sand occasionally at Kohl’s and with Walmart’s George brand.
Shoes are another point of difficulty for me; I must have peculiar feet, for comfortable shoes are hard to find, and comfortable, stylish shoes are even rarer.  Furthermore, I think very little of current shoe stylesparticularly dress shoes.  I despise the unflattering way those ubiquitous flats expose the base of the toes (though I reluctantly own both a brown and black pair, since after months of searching multiple stores in Hutch and Wichita, I could not finding any other dress shoes to match my skirts).  I also feel self-conscious wearing fashionable boots, though some look rather nice on other people (and I privately admire what my husband derogatively calls “hooker boots”though the items would not complement anything in my wardrobe).  Because of this difficulty, all of my shoes are compromises that sacrifice comfort (my black sneakers and snow boots), appearance (my dress shoes), price (my hiking shoes), or durability (my flip flops). 
As for jewelry, in keeping with my simple style, I wear only my wedding ring, and when dressed up, the diamond cross necklace Daddy got me.  Similarly, my waist-length hair I just part in the middle and may bind at the nape of my neck in a pony tail or braid, or twist into a low bun or half pony-tail.  With a little effort, I can also stuff it into a modified French twist secured with a larger claw clasp.  I can achieve all these styles in less than two minutes if I'm in good form. 
My fashion sense is simple, and my wardrobe has undoubtedly improved, but I do still dither over combinations of tops and bottoms and what to wear for certain occasions.  Also, physical comfort on hot days still requires an uncomfortable sacrifice of modesty.  In all, though, I’m comfortable with my simple style, and I feel confident that most of my clothes modestly flatter meand since a girl’s confidence in her clothes transfers to confidence in public, this is invaluable a for a self-conscious person like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment