Thursday, August 7, 2014

On a Few New Haiku (and Senryu)

Summer means weeding. (Ugh.) And mosquitoes. (Triple ugh.) I tried to use haiku to capture this "ugh-ness":

gardening
mosquitoes in the coolness
or heatstroke at noon
~~~
(I thought of changing this next one, but realized I liked the play on morning / mourning.)

How unfortunate!
Mosquitoes also like
morning gardens.




Recently, I stayed up past 2 am (whoops) to read a new book. I didn't finish, but burning eyes and droopy eyelids finally convinced me it was time to stop (for a few hours, anyway). That incident inspired the following two senryu:

Reading
time suspends itself
in ambush

~~~

A new book
such a late hour, but
only the cat snores. (And it's such a funny snore, too!)



As I was reading, one of those teeny green grasshoppery things spent some time hopping between my blanket, wall, and lamp cover. (...One quick Google search laterthe creature is a leafhopper, from the family Cicadellidae.   The one I saw looks most similar to the subfamilies(?) Iassine, Empoasca, or Balclutha.) The little fellow became the mental triggerthough clearly not the subject—of the next poem: 


Drawn to the flame and
blind to the open window
Tragically unsaved.


I wrote this next one in honor of a friend of mine. By God's grace, she turned away from substance abuse to serve Christ, and one of the turning points happened when God sent a downpour on her birthday. Ever since, she's prayed for rain on that day and looks forward to it more than any other gift. She's gotten it each year. :) I made several attempts to convey her story in haiku form, and I like this the bestin part because of the multiple meanings of "clean" (literal, idiomatic, and spiritual).


Another year clean
she praises the Lord
for her birthday rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment