Tuesday, March 12, 2013

On Girl Genius: a Recommendation

        Back in college (seven years ago, now... whoa!), my dad sent me a link to a little online graphic novel called Girl Genius.  Considering it has become my favorite online graphic novel and that the related Agatha H novels are my favorite books, I confess myself surprised that I have not yet dedicated a post to them.
        This three-time Hugo Award-winning “gaslamp fantasy” (for those deprived of the experience) chronicles the adventures of a young woman named Agatha, who soon discovers she is the long-hidden heir to the renowned house of Heterodyne.  Her tale is set in a vaguely Victorian era.  I must say “vaguely” since it’s an alternate European history in which mad scientists and their mechanical and biological creations are distressingly (or fascinatingly?) common.  Those with this “Spark” of mad genius can bend the laws of physics, and the strongest (or most reckless) can lay waste to entire civilizations.  Agatha’s forebearersall strong Sparkswere terrors of this sort.  However, her missing father and Uncle Barry redeemed the name of Heterodyne in their youth by becoming sparky heroes fighting for peace and safety throughout Europa (as the natives call it).  This newly-revealed heir must now contend with an array of people who want to use her, kill her, orin at least two prominent casesmarry her.  At the same time, she begins to come into her powers and gains numerous allies, which include a warrior princess, a talking cat who happens to be a military genius, a sentient and morbidly sadistic castle, as well as a wide variety of minions and monsters.
        An ineffable "Something" in Phil and Kaja Foglio’s work engages my compassion for the characters and secures my rabid interest in their fates despite my typical disregard for Victorian-esque settings and zany plotssomehow, those elements actually work in this story's favor.  Even better, the writing appeals perfectly to my sense of humor.  (I'll post more on the humor later, I hope.)  I’ve consequently found the series effective therapy for all forms of depression and ennui.  This means I’ve read each novel at least three times and am beginning my fifth or sixth read through the online comic, the updates of which I still read faithfully three times a week.  Perhaps it's needless to say at this point, but I highly recommend my readers give it a try if they haven’t already.

No comments:

Post a Comment